Sunday 1 June 2014

A Critique of the Emergent Church

The emergent church has gained traction over the past two decades.  I see it as a missional response to our post-modern society, where truth basically is said to be unknowable - aka postmodernism. Some churches have adapted to this culture in an attempt to be relevant.  Taking a non dogmatic relational approach they seek to engage with society.  To an extant, it works.  Crowds are drawn, mega churches are born and  preachers become celebrities.  I see the movements purpose, but I fear it over compensates one extreme to the detriment of the other.  My father always told me, wisdom is in the middle way - in balance, in moderation.  I really think that is Gods method.  An overemphasis on a truth or underemphasis is just as incorrect as a lie.  Its a distortion of the truth.  We should seek truth in its right proportions and to deliver that truth accordingly.
 
We can see two faces in the church.  One face is the traditional, those that sing hymns and focus on holiness, those who are conservative, who generally take scripture at face value.  The other face are the liberals,  those who think scripture is primarily a metaphor, who generally are more morally lax but more socially active - in the sense of social justice, such as ending poverty and the like. The liberals may deny the foundations of the faith, like Jesus' resurrection, virgin birth etc. At which point, it is safe to say they cease being 'christian' and begin being a person simply morally inspired by the bible.  Of course there are 20 thousand shades of grey between these two faces but that is the reality.

I see the emergent church as liberal leaning in ideology. Its focus is purposefully ambiguous so as to inspire but never confront or challenge.  This is something I struggle with comprehending.  Personally I feel like a judgmental stereotypical 'conservative' saying that. When I hear the names of emergent leaders anger kindles in my heart.  Why?  Because I feel the truth is being distorted and maligned.  People are taught that the bible wasn't addressed to you so there really is no way it is knowable to you personally. Most just wink at this though.  I sincerely ask myself - am I just conceited?  Am I just full of pride and want to feel superior so I critique?  I don't believe so.  I just value truth and see the movement as an enemy of the truth.  The aposlte warned of a time when people would heap teachers up for themselves to be taught what they wanted to be taught not truth.

I believe the church should be culturally relevant - with modern worship, understandable biblical translations (though still literal interpretations). I believe the theology taught and messages preached should not merely be biblically inspired but saturated with scripture - not cliche feel good motivational messages irrelevant to the text, but explanations of a chapter.  It seems as though its one or the other.  Either it is saturated with scripture, holiness is encouraged but the church is so bland and disconnected from society or the church is so blended with society you cant tell the difference between the church and the world.  Scripture is never quoted, but its a cool scene with nice friendly people seeking social justice. What I don't get with the latter is that you don't need to be a christian to do any of that.  Plenty of my secular friends are really cool, friendly and seek social justice too.  As I write this I am currently disillusioned with churches for the reasons listed and don't attend one.  I realize I should but its hard searching for a good one.  One that is both relevant and faithful to scripture.

So why can't I return to my old church?  I have many friends there.  I may have fought with a pastor but I've moved on.  That said I believe the reasons that I left - the root problems of many emergent churches are completely unaddressed and I believe I would just walk out every Sunday frustrated with the lack of scripture actually taught.  Here's a question...is it pivotal that a good amount of scripture is taught on a Sunday?  Am I just nitpicking at a minor problem?  Or is this reason enough to have left?  It is a very subjective question.  Personally I am of the opinion the primary purpose of an organized church is the proclamation of the gospel and teaching the word of God.  To others its 'being' the church and building relationships. Of course its both, and you cant have one without the other.  But if I believe the bible isn't proclaimed and the word is barely taught - what is the point of building relationships?  Some say to talk about scripture - and that happens sometimes yes, but the controversial issues people avoid.  The very issues that need to be talked about are frequently swept under the rug.  People want low key, entertainment oriented relationships - they don't want to be dragged into theological and philosophical discussion.  Politics and religion are the taboo subjects of our society - polite company will never bring these issues up to be discussed.  How ever so draining it is to be the token spiritual guy to constantly be bringing these topics up too.  That is why preaching these messages and addressing these topics from the pulpit is ideal.  People wont be surprised - its one of the prime reasons a pastor exists - to preach the word.

And there in lies the problem, the pulpit wont discuss issues and hard scriptures nor will friendships.  What about Jesus' prohibition on divorce and remarriage - that never is talked about nor ever will be, for fear of offending someone. Divorce occurred enough in Jesus' day too.  It was legal.  And Jesus raised the bar and said don't do it.  What about lust with the eyes - an even more common one.  Bringing these issues up sharpens us, warns us, rebukes us.  So many topics are taboo to discuss in churches and in society.  Why?  because social unity is valued above proclamation of the truth.  As someone once said to me when commenting on the emergent churches massive focus on social justice with minimal gospel preaching: "the emergent churches mission is to make people more comfortable on their way to hell".  Which is the truth.  What are riches when they turn to ash when you die and descend into hell not knowing Christ and never being taught the gospel?  Jesus said to some poor people "Do not work for the food that spoils [or perishes], but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. On him God the Father has placed his seal of approval." (John 6:27 NIV).

The church exists to proclaim the way of salvation, our reconciliation with God through trusting in the death burial and resurrection of Jesus for our sins. In Him is our righteousness found, our hope for eternal life, the works we do here on earth profit nothing, law keeping, alms giving etc.  These we do for love for Him who gave His life for us.  Social justice is the fruit of salvation - it isn't salvation.  Nor is mere church membership.  That's for another post though.  To be in relationship with Christ is eternal life.

No comments:

Post a Comment